Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Girls Pilgrimage

There are a lot of girls in our family.  

And they just seem to keep coming.  

The more the merrier, right!?

My older girls are definitely getting older.  Being one who loves tradition, I have been starting to think about how I want their life to look as they age and mature.  I want to provide them with momentous, growing adventures that they will cherish forever.

Men have it easy.  They pack up a few things, walk out into the woods and camp for the weekend.  The return home bonded and more manly,  Memories were made, plans are dreamed of for future camping trips.

I don't camp.  It's not that I won't, it's just unfamiliar to me. And something about camping with my girls doesn't sit right. I'm sure they'd have a good time doing it.  I'm sure there are lots of other girls that would prefer to camp.  

Then there is the girls pampering weekend.  Getting nails done, nice hotel, fancy dinner, pretty clothes. Which I'm sure they would love to do and I'm sure many other girls would prefer that type of getaway.

But that's just not what I want for my girls.  

Late one night shift when I was still working as a Nurse Aid, I was doing a little research on Monastic life.  I found a female monastery in SC, Saints Mary and Martha Monastery,  that was not too far away. On their website they advertise that they host Mother/Daughter Retreats.  

PERFECT!!

Here was our chance to get away from the world, out in nature (but not too out), living simply and focusing on God and each other.  This is exactly what I was looking for!  Plus, I was pretty curious myself as to what the female monastic life was like.  I e-mailed the Abbess and we made plans for a summer trip with my two oldest daughters.  

And what a peaceful weekend it was!  The Mothers there were so kind and welcoming.  They had no expectations for us, except to have the respite we desired.  We walked many times through the woods, inspected tombstones, toured the candle making facility, fellowshiped with other Christian sisters, put together puzzles and worshiped God.  

It is truly amazing watching my girls grow up into beautiful young ladies.  I know that raising them is no small task.  I pray that this will be a wonderful new tradition for my girls and me!



My girls with Mother Thecla and Mother Helena

Bricks of beeswax for candles

Candle molds

Where they warm the beeswax and make the candles we use in church

A beautiful meditation spot on one of the trails

Caroline hanging out in the Hermitage house
Makayla relaxing in the Hermitage house

1 comment:

Joanne @ Our ABC Life said...

Thanks for sharing this!

I could see taking some of my girls in a few years.

Congrats on the latest PINK edition : )