Sunday, March 8, 2020

Holy Angels Book Review

Image result for the holy angels by mother alexandra
First off, I have to say that I love Mother Alexandra.  I have read her memoir, I Will Live Again, and
visited Holy Transfiguration, the monastery she started in Elwood, PA.  I was very excited to hear that
Ancient Faith Publishing was reprinting her book Holy Angels. This book is such a very thorough
resource on Angelology starting at the very beginning of creation and continuing throughout history
to the present time.  I really like how she broke her study down into categories. She covers the
entirety of the Old and New Testaments as well as the early church Fathers, major historical time
periods, even examining the history of angels in art.
One of my favorite aspects of this book is that it’s not based on personal opinions.  Mother Alexandra
thoroughly breaks down the Scriptures to share each time Angels are mentioned.  She gives the
synopsis of the encounter with the Angel and the attributes that we can gather from the facts stated. 
I also really love how she inserts prayers from Orthodox prayers, Akathists and Cannons as they
pertain to the topic discussed.  It helps to unify the sacred subject of Angels to our daily spiritual life.
  
While the book is said to be written for lay people, I did have some trouble understanding some topics.
Mother Alexandra is obviously very well educated and does discuss some complex thoughts on
Angels. Most of the stories were very understandable, but there were definitely a few sections that
I had to reread and then read again to try and understand what was being said.  
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed The Holy Angels.  I learned many things about Angels that I had not
noticed while reading the Scriptures and even more through early church history and art.  I gathered
many helpful quotes and notes to look back through and contemplate as I continue to grow and study.
  
“We can only truly comprehend the angels when we see them as true servers of God, perfectly
fulfilling his command, executing their mission in fullest reflection of God’s will.”  
The Holy Angels

Mother Alexandra

No comments: