Wednesday, January 23, 2013

You've Got Mail

There is just something about mail that gets me giddy.  I wait patiently everyday to hear the sound of the mail truck coming down the street. 
It has always been this way for me.  As a little girl we had a wonderful mailman.  His name was Clarence.  We lived in a cul-de-sac and ours was the last house in the circle, so once I saw him across the street, I knew it was time to run down the drive way and hand collect our daily mail.  Sometimes Clarence and I would chat briefly about the day, sometimes we would just exchange mail.  As a young girl, this would be the highlight of my day (other than chatting with my neighbor of course!) Clarence also liked chocolate, so many times I would bring him a treat (my mom has a thing for baking chocolate chip cookies, they are ALWAYS in supply at her house!)
I don't know if it's just the anticipation of something everyday or the mystery of what could be delivered or just the cheer it brings to know that someone was thinking about you enough to send a kind note, but I just love it when the mail comes!
My girls apparently have inherited that gene.  Unless it just comes from seeing a different face than mom's all day... Or the fact that we have a WONDERFUL mailman named Tom. 
Tom has been the the mail delivery business for quite a while and doesn't mind in the least the interruptions he gets almost daily from my daughters.  They just love meeting him at the mailbox and telling him all about our day.  He kindly takes more time than he has to listen to them intently and show enthusiasm for what they are sharing.  He even gave the girls candy canes all Christmas season when they came to greet him at mail time.  And what mom can turn down candy canes from the mail man (even if they contain all types of nasty ingredients, including food dyes.....)
Whenever we makes goodies, I always try to remember to share some with Tom. He has been the recipient of baked breads and jams and always shares his thanks.
This Christmas he got our gift of pumpkin bread and fresh home grown spices that we shared with our friends and neighbors (a little sugar and spice from the Bradley's...get it?...sugar and spice...).
Imagine my absolute ecstasy when I received a letter from my mailman!  I mean, can it get any better than that!  Mail from THE mailman, amazing!  He didn't even have to use a stamp :)  It was so thoughtful that he took the time to send me a thank you for the small token we gave him at Christmas time.  It warmed my heart.

 
 
What a perfect card for the mailman!  Someone was smart to create a line of cards just for mail carriers!

Personalized and with a signature..maybe it will be worth money someday :)
P.S.  If you were wanting to send me some mail....I would gladly give you my address...

No comments: