Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Chicken Parmesan Bundles

Every so often I am behind in my menu planning (what, with 5 kids 6 and under? imagine that!).  I love to browse through Allrecipes.com typing in various items I do and don't have around the house and see what exciting meals I can come up with.  Many times I get the basic idea of a meal and then tweak it a little.   Yesterday I came across this yummy recipe for Chicken Parmesan Bundles.  Since I prefer to use a few pre-packaged items as possible, this is how I adjusted the recipe for our natural diet:
4 ounces Trader Joe's cream cheese
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 1/4 cups raw mozzarella cheese, divided
6 tablespoons Trader Joe's Parmesan cheese, divided
2 Tb. parsley
4 thin cut Trader Joes' chicken breast
1 egg
a couple slices of stale bread chopped into bread crumbs
garlic salt (to taste, optional)
Trader Joe's Marinara Sauce

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix cream cheese, spinach, 1 cup mozz., 3Tb. Parmesan and parsley. 
2. Pound down chicken breast until they are 1/4 inch thickness, easy to stuff and roll.
3. Drop a scoop of spinach mixture on flat chicken and roll up.
4.  Put your bread crumbs, left over Parmesan, and some garlic salt in a baggie. 
5. Mix an egg in a small dish.
6. Coat each chicken roll in egg and then shake to coat in bread crumbs
7. Lay seam side down in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes
8. Top with heated Marinara sauce and some cheese.

No comments: