Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Won't you be my neighbor?


I was a surprise baby. Not an "oops" but a flat out Shock!  My mom had her tubes tied and then I was born three years later.  Crazy, huh!?  Because I was not in the plans, my brother and sister were a bit older than me.  Old enough that we didn't have a whole lot in common to play with.  So what did that mean for me?  I had to make my own friends.  My target?  The neighbors.  There was a sweet old man that lived next door with a quiet wife and children that did not live near.  If I ever caught him in his yard, I was over chatting his ear off.  Most days, I would find him in his garage tinkering on his old VW van (he offered it to me once I could drive, but I declined).  I'm not sure exactly what we talked about, but he would show me his tools and we would chat about life until mom called me home.  I don't think he minded. At least he never showed it.  He was at my wedding and has given a gift when each of my children were born. 
So why am I telling you about my neighbor?  A new generation of friends has bloomed.  My sweet daughters have now become friends with my neighbor.  Whenever we go visit at my mom's house, if I can't find them in her back yard, I know they are at the neighbors.  It's funny, they still seem to be the same age as they were when I was friends with them.  I know it warms their heart to have more sweet little girls to chat with about life.  I know it does my girls good to chat with an older couple. 
Today we stopped by my mom's for lunch. Caroline ran out of the van straight to our neighbors to show the teeth she had just lost.  I got so tickled when she came back.  They knew their name started with an "R", but had mixed up the sounds.  So she let me know all about her visit with "Mr. Rogers."  Too cute, huh! :)  She was pretty much right, that would be a good name for him!

1 comment:

Rondi said...

Adorable!! I loved reading this post!