Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Forbid them not

Wednesday night Vespers is always interesting on the nights when my husband, Josh, is working.  It would probably be easier to stay home, but I have been programed since birth to go to church on Wednesday nights.  I just can't help myself! 
Tonight was no different.  Typical madness trying to get my kids to stuff down some dinner before we head out the door.  Making sure everyone is dressed, changed and mostly clean.  Cramming all 5 in their appropriate car seats so we can "make it to the church on time" (you must sing that in your head to the tune from the song in My Fair Lady) 
Phew...
We make it to church, each kid assigned to a bag to carry in and where to put it.  Running in as fast as I can to set down a baby or two before Sydney reaches the candle stand to light her candle.  Venerating and trying to get in a mindset of prayer before Vespers.
It was all going so well...
Then Sydney looks up at me, legs spread wide apart with a look of desperation in her eyes "Go potty, Mommy!"
I sigh in frustration.  Whose idea was it to potty train a kid?  It's really just more work on me!  I guess that since she's walking funny she must have already wet herself a little bit.  As we are walking down the isle to leave the Nave, she starts pulling down her pants.  Lo and behold, there is NO diaper on that child!  She has peed straight down her legs!
We go to the bathroom to let her finish her business, I distract her from the candy room where she typically gets her treats, and head to the changing room to get her a diaper.  I then proceed to find and ask if her best friend, who is also two, happens to have a change of pants in her bag.  Alas..no.
So for the entire service, Sydney is worshipping with no pants.
As I am doing my best trying to keep my kids from distracting other during Vespers, Father takes his seat in the choir rows as he sits to listen to the evening's readings.
I love Father Nicholas, he looks just like Santa.  He has such a sweet spirit and is always so nice to my kids.  In his role as Priest, he is putting on the role of Jesus for us. 
Tonight was the perfect symbolism.
As soon as he sits down, Sydney looks up at me and ask, "Sit with Father?" 
I look down at her bare legs and diaper tushy and at first respond with a mental "no."  I have never witnessed anyone sitting with the Priest before during Vespers, he always sits by himself.  But not wanting to cause a scene, I let her run over, I figured at worst he would tell her "no" and send her back.  But what does he do?  He places her on his lap and uses his Epitrachelion to cover her bare legs.  He has a huge smile on his face and listens to her jabber for a moment and reminds her to be quiet.  They sit together for a few minutes in, what looks like on Sydney's face, bliss.
I really wish I had had a camera.  It was absolutely precious. 
And then I thought of this verse "But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:14
I could totally see Jesus doing the exact same thing.
I really love how in the Orthodox church children are not seen as a hindrance.  As my Godmother said their noise is "Holy noise." 
We are all working together in our church body to grow closer to Christ. 
Thank you Father for giving me just a glimpse of what it might have been like to be in the presence of Jesus.