Friday, March 8, 2013

God's Hidden Treasures: Prepping our garden for spring planting

The weather was just right today to do a little work in the yard.  I am getting so excited about starting our garden this year (Lord willing, not having to garden with a baby belly!).  We have been gardening the past two years; this year will be our first year starting with all seeds.  While I'm nervous about the greenness of my thumb, I do really enjoy working in the soil and watching God's handiwork.
I started some seedlings this week, so I felt the need to at least re clear the space used for our garden. Since Josh was working this morning, the 4 oldest and I set out for a morning outdoors.  Thank goodness Julianna can finally walk!
While I was blowing the pine straw out of the way, I stumbled upon something that looked familiar.  It was a sweet potato!  I thought I had dug all of them up!  So while I was blowing the land clear, the girls set out on their "treasure hunt" to find the little treasures that God had stored away for us until spring. 
 
 
Of course if digging is involved, Joe is there to help.  He actually did find a few sweet potatoes.


Some of our treasures in a pile.


The girls were very anxious to get them cleaned off and ready to eat.  Thankfully, before there was too much of a mess I steered them to the kitchen sink instead of the bathroom.
 


 
We found a few sweet potatoes, one golden potato and a few carrots.  And various bug treasures that were left outside :)
Also speaking of prepping the garden.  Josh and I were discussing at dinner the pro's and con's of tilling your garden before planting. What do you do to prep your garden?  Do you till or just plant?

No comments: