Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shepherds Pie


I love an easy filling meal.  Especially when it's all one dish and you can hide all sorts of veggies that the kids won't notice!  This recipe is taken from one of my all time favorite blogs Passionate Homemaking.  Although the author is taking an extended sabbatical, her blog still contains so much great knowledge!  She has really helped guide me as I have journeyed to natural food and living.  
 

This step has to be my favorite.  Who woulda thought to cook your potatoes and carrots together?  Then they can be all mashed together and this kiddos can't pick them out!  Make sure to start the carrots a good 10 minutes before you add your potatoes, otherwise you'll never get them to mix.


I am STILL loving my Pampered Chef ceramic pan.  Because it is so deep, I can fit all sorts of foods at one time!    Here I'm starting the beef and onions.  And yes, the girls did help me brown the meat.
 


Next I added my tomato sauce and spices.  This simmers for about 20 minutes.  


Then I add whatever veggies I can find! This time I did black beans, corn, peas and green beans (that actually came from our garden!  I love canning!)  Mix them all together and let them cook for 5 minutes.

 

Then layer the two mixtures, the beef/veggies on the bottom and the mashed potatoes/carrots on top.  I chose to make two 8X8's of this dish. I baked one and froze the other.  If you are feeding a crowd, throw it all in a 9X13.

 
Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  It is my winter comfort food! 
 
Thanks Passionate Homemaking for such a yummy recipe!  

No comments: