Saturday, February 23, 2013

And so it Begins: Intro to the Pre-Lent Season

So tonight marks the beginning of the Pre-Lent season.  Our church offers Great Vespers services on Saturday nights,  unfortunately I have not managed to figure out how to get my family there on time and have dinner.  Just another thing to be working on!  Had I been at services tonight, I would have noticed some changes in the readings as they have officially brought out the Triodian which has all the readings for the Pre-Lent season.  Since Lent  and Pascha is such a big deal in the Orthodox Church, we prepare before we prepare.  Each Sunday's readings are selected with specific things to help prepare our hearts and minds before we enter into the season of fasting and services. 

I have NEVER experienced anything like this.  In my previous faith tradition, Easter was celebrated primarily for the Easter Bunny and candy.  We got to wear a pretty dress and white shoes for the first time since Labor Day.  The church even went so far as to have a major conference on unrelated issues specifically on Easter Sunday (I usually got my Easter basket in a hotel room before we hurriedly checked out and drove home early, instead of going to services).  The stance was "we celebrate His death, burial and resurrection every Sunday, we do not need a special day for it."  The same concept was also practiced with Christmas.  So, needless to say, growing up Jesus' resurrection was rarely mentioned in connection with Easter.

Now I have 10 weeks of prep for the special event.

WOW!

I have no idea what I am headed for.  I have taken a peek at the church calendar and know that there are A LOT of church services scheduled in the near future.  My goal is to go to as many as possible...with the entire family. 

There are many aspects that I am looking forward to.

Maybe even a few that I am dreading.

But I look forward to the life change that God has in store for my heart through the process.

Stay tuned as I share my journey through this event for the first time!

No comments: