Monday, February 4, 2013

Field Trip to the Police Department

This year I joined a couple of home school groups so that I can have some educational fun with other homeschooling families.  I am in a secular group and a Christian group. 
This is the FIRST time I have been able to do something with any group ALL year! 
It's January! 
Having 5 kids 6 and under really inhibits my outings...
That and church...but I'd rather do church...
Anyways.. I took my 3 oldest (Josh stayed home with the babies, Go Superdad!) to the local Police Department for a field trip.  We watched a power point presentation and took a tour of the station.  It was all nice, brand new and sparkly.  There weren't many people there, which I guess is a good thing, they were all out working.  
 

Here are Makayla, Caroline and Sydney sitting at their desk getting ready to hear an oh so very thrilling power point about what a police man does.  This was Makayla's favorite part, sitting at a desk that is.  I think she felt like she was in "real" school (aka Public School).



This was my favorite part, real fake money!  It was taken from a man trying to use them at our local Walmart, read all about it :) I pretty much felt famous being connected so closely to the news....


Caroline had the camera for the most part during the tour, we came home with 79 pictures!  This is a police car...not like you didn't know that...but this is taken from a 5 year old perspective.  I forget how short they are!  This was also Caroline's favorite part.  We also saw the motorcycle, bikes and ATV.


This is a memorial for the 3 Clayton officers killed in duty.  Since the first was in the early 1970's, I think our record is pretty good, but I guess one cop killed in duty is one too many!  I really liked the design of the memorial, on the flip side you can actually see the image of a police officer.  It shows him going out into the world and the void left behind when they are taken from us too soon.  I also loved how they included Matthew 5:9  Blessed are the peacemakers...  The Bible is not lost in our small towns, Praise God!


Here's the whole group!  Well, at least the ones who hadn't left yet.  It was quite the crowd! 
Yay for good field trips!


The girls with a real police officer.
I'm pretty sure he's the same guy that came to help me when I locked my kids in the car at the pediatrician, a block from our house, only to realize once he got there that a door was left unlocked.
Thanks Officer
The girls made sure they mentioned that story.

 
And here is Makayla showing of the tooth she lost recently, on the bottom.  How does one eat with no teeth :)  

No comments: